This course covers all the information in a standard American Institute for Avalanche Education and Research (AIARE) Level 1 Course
, but uses a real backcountry ski hut for a classroom! Class sizes are smaller and more intimate in hut-based courses and you have the added advantage of being able to apply your new knowledge immediately .
The Gothic Hut System in Gothic, Colorado located just outside of Crested Butte is a mellow 4 mile ski from the trail head.
Students will come away from the course having learned:
- How to prepare and plan for a backcountry tour
- How to analyze an avalanche forecast
- How to identify avalanche terrain & avalanche types
- How to recognize hazardous conditions
- Basic snow pack understanding
- Route selection and terrain features
- Snowpack tests and interpretation
- Educated decision making
- Basic rescue techniques
- Group management
- Inclusions: Hut fees, breakfast, lunch, and dinner while at the hut, AIARE Level 1 Course Manual, AIARE Field Book, AIARE Level 1 certificate upon successful completion of course.
- Exclusions: Lunch & snacks, avalanche safety gear, backcountry touring gear.*
*Avalanche safety gear and backcountry touring set-ups can be rented for an additional fee.