Students will come away from the course having learned:
- How to prepare and plan for a backcountry tour
- How to analyze an avalanche forecast
- How to identify avalanche terrain & avalanche types
- How to recognize hazardous conditions
- Basic snow pack understanding
- Route selection and terrain features
- Snowpack tests and interpretation
- Educated decision making
- Basic rescue techniques
- Group management
- Inclusions: AIARE Level 1 Course Manual, AIARE Field Book, AIARE Level 1 certificate upon successful completion of course.
- Exclusions: Lodging, food, avalanche safety gear, backcountry touring gear.*
- A detailed equipment list will be provided upon course registration.
- Suggested Reading: Snow Sense: A Guide to Evaluating Snow Avalanche Hazard, by Fredston & Fesler
- After successful completion of the AIARE Level 1 Rec Course students can further their education with AIARE Avalanche Rescue Course and AIARE Level 2 Rec Course.
*Avalanche safety gear and backcountry touring set-ups and be rented for an additional fee.